Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Some peace, at least

I haven't turned on my computer since Friday. That's amazing to me. What's even more amazing is that I haven't been sitting, anxiously desiring to turn it on, worrying that something would happen that I didn't know about, that somehow I'd be missing out on something.

On Saturday we went out of town to celebrate our first wedding anniversary (goodness does time fly), and spent nearly two whole days just enjoying each other and the world around us. Then I came back Sunday night to find my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)had already arrived. While hubby went to take a nap, I curled up on the couch to read. And haven't stopped since.

Which is of course a lie. We went out to dinner Sunday night. I worked 3 hours yesterday morning and went grocery shopping. I went out for coffee and cards with friends last night. But in between and when there's been time, I'm reading. Not racingly, hungrily like some of my friends. I am in no hurry for this to be done.

Yesterday I got my oil changed in my car, a task I've been putting off. When I went though with my huge span of afternoon, and was told it would take an hour, I cheerfully helped myself to a cup of of coffee and a cookie and curled up in a chair in the waiting room.

And I'm starting to realize, the longer I leave the computer and radio and TV off, that this is the kind of life I've been searching for. If I could do nothing but tutor a few hours a day, read books, and play UNO with friends, I would be the most content person on the planet. This is what I should have been striving toward all along. And truthfully, it's not such an expensive lifestyle.

I will, of course, go back to work full time in the fall and then I won't have so many hours of coziness stretched out at a time, but I can learn to carve out the quiet where it is. The simpler life I'm looking for probably isn't something so external at all; not something to search for, but something to live.

1 comments:

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

I've gave up TV 2 years ago and have never looked back. I found that I wasted a lot of time in front of it, being unproductive. And when I tried to be productive with the telly on, I'd be distracted, or half paying attention.

I however, cannot give up the internet, as it is my source of entertainment.. :) But if I went cold turkey, I also wouldn't be shivering with withdrawl, I'd just be reading a heck of a lot more.

My favourite day would be to sit outside without any fear of the sun after slapping on a ton of sunscreen, being bug free in a little mesh tent, in a comfy lounger, a hot cup of GOOD tea to sip on, a piece of cake to eat, and a garden to admire in between reading :)