Tuesday, August 28, 2007

5 reasons why I love knitting

1. It's repetitive. It requires a kind of focused attention that is so unlike the passive task of watching TV that it couldn't be called mindless but which is also completely unlike the intellectual and social activities of my day. Once I get started, the rhythm becomes so ingrained and so pleasant that I can start to process my day while keeping part of my busy brain quiet.

2. It's productive. Rather than idling away my time, I'm producing beautiful things that I can use to decorate my house, give as gifts, or donate to charity.

3. It's cheap. Yarn can cost a few dollars a ball, which will keep me busy for weeks if not months.

4. It's quiet. And I need more quiet in my life.

5. It's domestic. It makes me feel womanly and wifey and homey. Not that writing, teaching, and the other things I do make me less of a woman or wife, but it makes me feel connected to my female ancestry to make something with my hands.

I suppose it doesn't really take all that much to make me happy.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I don't know how to knit, but his post reminds me of how much I enjoy crocheting. I think I'll pull out that blanket I haven't worked on in two years and get to work!

The Frugal Shrink said...

I feel the same way about crocheting! I've been crocheting up a storm lately for these very reasons. :)

E.C. said...

This makes me want to dig out the afghan I started when I was in high school and get back to work. Knitting while listening to a good book on tape from the library sounds like a perfect activity for cozy winter evenings.

Anonymous said...

I have been knitting for over a year now and it has helped me to relax considerably. I could stay home and work on a project for a whole day if I wanted to! Saves me money on going out. LOL Do you have any pictures of your projects on your blog?