Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Getting Settled

I'm finally in my apartment, and I even have all my boxes unpacked. I went to the grocery store, I did laundry. My life is starting to feel normal again.

Not everything is easy, though. Our apartment is smaller, and I'm still looking for places to put everything. I have to check google maps before I go anywhere. I spent 40 minutes on the phone with the cable guy trying to get my service turned on. And I still feel like I don't know what to do with my days while hubby is at work. I know I've always been home all day in the summers, but when he was in grad school, he really only spent 4 or 5 hours at the lab in the summer. Now he's gone for 10 hours at a time. I can do all the laundry, clean, and go to the store, and I still have hours left to fill.

I know I need to get some kind of job, if not for the money at least so that I have something to do, but I don't know where to begin looking. My teaching certification hasn't come through yet and until it does I can't even get on substitute lists. I have a part time job that I transferred, but so far not much work has really come up. I'm considering looking for some kind of temporary or freelance work to fill the gap.

From a budgetary standpoint, we're just fine. Even if I don't make any money at all, we will still have enough money to cover our bills and put some money in savings. But I don't know how to do anything but worry about money and pinch pennies, so that's what I'm going to keep doing.

3 comments:

Cori said...

I can totally relate to this - except that I will need to keep pinching pennies for a while. But my husband and I moved 700 miles from family (inc. grandkids) and friends and became empty-nesters at the same time. We live a little far out in the sticks to make a part time job for me feasible (I have not completed my college degree - yet). So... I am working on pinching pennies, developing new (inexpensive) talents, and stabalizing our new home/living situation. I'm mostly at peace with this now, but it has been almost a year and I still have my days.

Thanks for sharing your feelings and ideas! My best to you.

Lucy said...

What about voluteering? Maybe you could get hooked up with a local cause and fill up some of your hours doing something that means a lot to you.

FindSavings said...

Great ideas from the previous posts. Another job or volunteering are great ways to use one's time. However the job might be a bit of a better idea since you are trying to save. Regardless continuing to save is always a great idea!