Monday, October 26, 2009

Apples!

My husband and I went to a local apple farm yesterday and picked a peck of apples (haha, yeah, it makes me laugh too). For only $9, we got about 15 pounds of fresh, local, unwaxed apples.

I'm not sure what to do with them all! I have been peeling and cutting all morning and have a pot of applesauce on the stove and a dehydrator full of apple slices. My fruit bowl is already overflowing with apples. Time to look up more recipes.

If I get a chance, and can find my camera, I'll post some pictures later. Right now though, I'm just glad to feel normal and productive again.


Applesauce

Peel and slice approximately 3-5 pounds of apples. Dip in lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Put in a pot on the stove with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, then transfer to a mixing bowl and beat until desired consistency. Add cinnamon as desired.

(Not much of a recipe, I know, but that's how I do it)

4 comments:

Mrspiggy said...

That sounds great!. Never knew apples could be used in so much ways. And to be honest you inspired me. Please post some snaps.
I might try making some kind of fruit jam :)

Kind regards
Mrs Piggy
(www.mygirlyfiles.com)

Susan said...

You can freeze the applesauce. Make a pie! Or applesauce cookies, etc.

Glad you are exploring the new place!

April said...

Peel, core, slice, freeze in amounts enough for one pie. When it comes pie-making time, pull a bag out out, thaw or mostly thaw), season, and bake. I have 17 bags of pie apples in my freezer!

story girl said...

Mmmmmm. . . pie. . .