Monday, May 28, 2007

School's out for summer: New challenges

Friday was the last day of school. For those of you who only know school from the student end of things, trust me when I say that this is just as much of a relief for teachers. By the time I come to the end of a school year, I'm ready to take a 48 hour long nap or stare at the wall for several days. I'm ready to take a serious mental break.

So, when I told myself all last week that once school was out I would start writing regularly, cooking from scratch, scrubbing the apartment from top to bottom, and finding new streams of income, perhaps I was being a bit ambitious.

Right now, I'm just tired. I'm mentally and emotionally more tired than anything, and I gave myself a coffee-free weekend to start to try to detox a little, so I'm physically feeling kind of slower than usual too. Writing is not the first thing on my mind. In fact, nothing is really on my mind right now except "suuuummmmmmeeeeer."

While I do worry about letting huge spans of tiem spread out before me without any goals or plans, I think it's okay for me to spend a few days, or maybe even a week, in this semi-comatose state. I do need to get my apartment cleaned and my clothes washed, I have a coupon train to sort and mail, and I have some tutoring students cramming this week for the SAT on June 2, so it's not a completely lost week. I don't, however, think it's a good week to be starting a lot of new things or deciding what I want from life.

That can start next week. For now, I'm going to go clean for a few minutes, then stare at the wall.

Suuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr.

0 comments: