Monday, May 21, 2007

Saving money for busy people

I've been so busy lately that it's been very tempting for me to fall off the frugality/money saving wagon. When I keep in mind, though, that money is what I trade my time for, and that wasting money is akin to wasting more of my time, I realize how important it is to invest a little time in frugality. I do not, however, have time to bake my own bread, go to four grocery stores a week, mystery shop, and pinch every penny. With that in mind, I've developed an array of money saving tips for when I'm too busy to focus on these things.

1. Dont' buy stuff. This doesn't take any time at all. In fact one of the best benefits for me of working 60 hour weeks has been that I simply don't have time to shop and eat out, and spend money.

2. Turn stuff off. It really doesn't take much time to turn off a light or turn down your thermostat, and then it's off. If you are in too much of a hurry to flip off a light switch on your way out the door to work, you pay for that light all day long.

3. Do less laundry. I harp on this again and again. Clothes don't need to be washed every time you wear them. Take a second to hang them back up and you will save yourself time and money later.

4. Let things go that don't matter. My apartment doesn't need to be spotlessly clean, but I do need clean dishes to eat off. I don't need to stockpile pizza rolls, but I do need milk. It's important to prioritize.

5. Take care of yourself. I take a few minutes every day to write, drink coffee on the deck, or nap a little in the afternoon, just so I can keep feeling like a person. If I get too caught up in how hard things are, I will be more likely to splurge and ruin my budget later.

2 comments:

Imajackson said...

Hi storygirl. I too was a teacher, left behind by Mr. B's NCLB act. Now I stay home and pinch pennies with my toddler w/ 1 due in summer. Love your blog and I like your mindset! You WILL get out debt, and you'll both make more money in the future. But the key is to discipline yourself now so when you make more, you don't spend more. I'll keep checking back to your site,

story girl said...

Thanks for your comments and congratulations on the new little one! I appreciate your encouragement. I know that I will get through this, but sometimes it's tough to see where the future is headed. It's nice to hear from someone who's a bit further down the road.