Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I want to be a writer (Repost)

(This is a respost of the last post from my writingup blog, which is now most assuredly gone forever.)

I want to be a writer. I don’t really care what I write, just so long as I get to write every day. I think that writing would be just about the best job in the whole wide world. Here’s why:

1. You get to write. In fact, you’re required to. It’s kind of the whole point.

2. You get to make your own hours. Sure maybe there would still be a lot of them, but you could start and stop them whenever you wanted.

3. You don’t work for anyone. You aren’t at the whim of some employer who is going to get on your case for something stupid. Well probably clients do that, but it’s not the same.

4. You don’t have to do the same thing all the time. You can change it up and vary what you do through the day.

5. You can work from home. You don’t have to go out in public at all if you don’t want to.

Is this really what it’s like? Is this just my fantasy? Does this have any bearing on the world of working writers? Is there anyone in the known universe who would pay me for something so wonderful and so absurd as writing? Do I have what it takes? I don’t know. I don’t know if I’m ready to find out. I’m afraid. I’m not ready to give up the candystore, so to speak (If I had her money, I’d be richer than she is). But I’m not sure I have the energy to write if it’s my third job. It’s just too much.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
If you love to write don't give up. However, some of the reasons you give for wanting to write are not always true. I've been a writer in the corporate environment, where I did work for someone else. Even as an independent contractor, there is usually a client who determines what I work on.

Have you tried applying for some writing jobs online?