Friday, September 11, 2009

Frugal Friday: Carpet cleaning


I have a giant dirt stain in the living carpet of my apartment from a plant I overwatered about a year ago (oops). I tried to clean it with carpet cleaner at the time, but it seemed a futile pursuit, so I just repositioned my furniture to cover it. Foolish, I know, and shortsighted because now as moving day fast approaches I am realizing that a stain in my carpet may prevent me from getting my security deposit back (not very frugal). I considered renting a steam cleaner (still not so frugal), but decided first that I'd give it one more shot on my own.

First, I attacked it with carpet cleaner, following the directions on the bottle. I sprayed, I waited, I blotted. Dirt was clearly coming out of my carpet, but it wasn't making much of a difference.

Then, I realized that I could spray plain water on my carpet and achieve nearly the same results. Again, I sprayed, I blotted. I used rags, old towels, paper towels. I tried stepping on the cloths to get more dirt out. Dirt continued to come out of my carpet. Clearly this was working, but it seemed like it would be a nearly endless process.

Finally I had a breakthrough. I sprayed the carpet with water until it was really wet, then I sprinkled baking soda over the entire area. The baking soda quickly became brown as it soaked up the dirt and water. I waited a few hours until the baking soda had completely dried then picked it up with my vacuum. Wow! For the first time I could actually see a noticeable difference in the stain. It's not completely gone, so I'm repeating the process, but it's a heck of a lot easier and more frugal than anything else I had thought of!

For more frugal ideas, check out Frugal Fridays at Life as Mom.

17 comments:

Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang said...

Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang
Keyword Kenali Pandeglang
Mohon dukungannya yach....?!
Semangat..semangat..!!
Pandeglang telah hilang Kenali Si Dunia Aneh
Silahkan kunjungi Pak firman di SDIT Nurul Ilmi Medan dalam kontes Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang

Lifting Creme said...

Carpet is a long-term investment that needs to be regularly maintained, rather than cleaned with powerful chemicals every once in a while. Ensuring that proper underlay is used before the carpet is laid, will help protect the carpet over the long run and regular cleaning with gentler chemicals will not only be better for the environment, it will be far more pleasant to use and keep carpets in optimum condition. Some care to choose carpets that are suited to the area is another way to ensure that the carpet will be easy to maintain and care for over its lifetime. Once laid, the carpet will need to be regularly maintained and cared for, this includes daily vacuuming to stop a build up of dirt becoming lodged in the carpet fibers, regular cleaning that uses relatively harmless cleaners and spot removal of stains before they get locked into the carpet fibers. Visit carpet cleaning london to get more information about this.

Tom said...

Hey here you also get Cleaning Services with the help of carpet cleaning Richmond

As they provide the best carpet cleaning Richmond you all can check this out.

Unknown said...

Hi Story Girl! I have a share of experience with carpet stains a couple of months back. I accidentally spilled wine with my newly installed carpet. Frankly, I was nervous, I know my wife. She'll surely get mad if she found out. Fortunately, she's out of town with her pals and I was left alone, searching online for carpet solutions and also for companies that provide carpet cleaning in Kansas City. Thankfully, I found one. I phoned them right away and the next day they arrived. Kansas City carpet cleaners did an awesome job. My carpet is spotless! My wife didn't even noticed when she arrived from her vacation. Well, I've never tried baking soda and hope I never will. But thanks for the tip, story girl.

st albans carpet cleaning said...

It is worth remembering that carpet cleaning liquids and products are often packed with chemicals, so they should be used with caution, particularly with children and animals in the house.

NTSFrisco said...

Stain 1 is a great product for plant stains. Watch out though because this is strong and will burn your hands.

Carpet Cleaning in Toronto said...

Having your carpets cleaned every six months can help extend the life of the carpet and improve many aspects of your home.

Carpet Cleaning in Toronto

Unknown said...

Well I think a professional Carpet Cleaning Melbourne service will really very helpful for carpet cleaning to save a lot of time and money during carpet cleaning. Carpet need cleaning after some time of use and a professional cleaning is necessary for every carpet.

carpet cleaner said...

Interesting info..these detailed post will helpful for me..keep it up.!!!!!

carpet cleaning clarkson said...

The key job of carpet cleaning is to remove soils from carpets. However, there are actually several different types of soils and contaminants found in carpets, and knowing what type of soil is in the carpet is frequently the first step in effectively removing it.

Mona Moore said...

Thanks for the tips, I want to use them on my carpets. I've been trying to improve my frugality (is that even a word? lol) but I find it quite hard. In the past I've used a company to come in and clean them - I haven't ever had any complaints, I used carpet cleaner birmingham and anyone not wanting to do it for themselves I've no problem recommending them. But I've been reading lots of sites like this recently and I think I am building up my knowledge and confidence to go for it! Wish me luck ;)

Unknown said...

Great post. I hope you write more good stuff like this article.

Carpet Cleaning Wilmington

Tips and Tricks blog said...

A great post - I continually feel that it's less simple than I previously thought.

Dr. Rahul Nagpal said...

Thanks for sharing that. It was fun reading it. :-)

Dr. Divya Agarwal said...

Thanks for sharing that. It was fun reading it.

Health and Wellness Blog India said...

Thank you, that was just an awesome post!!!

De Vere Carpet And Leather Cleaning said...

Great post thanks for sharing with us.
Do you want the Best leather cleaning services? De Vere is the only name you need to know! We are experts at restoring the lustre of your leather furniture and accessories. Our experienced staffs use cutting-edge procedures to remove stains, dirt, and grime, restoring your leather to its former glory. We ensure your valuable belongings are handled with the highest care and attention to detail. De Vere guarantees impressive results and a new look for your leather goods.