Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The frugality of being a homebody

Lately I've had quite a few posts that involved, in some way or another, not going out. Before people start to think I'm a monk, or that I am extremely self-sacrificial, let me just clear the waters and explain how much I prefer staying home.

Now don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the occasional adventure and it's lovely to have friends over or to go to the park once in a while, and I do all those things and I do eat at restaurants and see movies too, but most days the place I'd most prefer to be is home. In my pajamas. Either in bed or curled up on my couch. Preferably alone and most often with the house quiet (or with a softly read audio book playing). And so, while it would be nice to have some books, a few DVDs (because really, I like movies), and gallons of coffee, I don't require much. Pretty cheap, eh?

Not everyone is made like this, though. My husband for example looks for constant entertainment or stimulation. If I leave to get the mail, he makes a phone call to keep busy while I'm gone. He needs music on his phone to tide him over between the music in his car and the music on his computer. He doesn't mind running errands: the post office, the pharmacy, the bank (all of which give me massive anxiety) because, hey, it's something to do right?

While extroverts thrive in social situations, introverts are drained by them. Now, while it's very possible for an extrovert to be frugal, I wonder if somehow it isn't harder. So, I ask, how many of you frugalites and frugalistas are homebodies and how many of you are socialites?

13 comments:

hmd said...

I'm 100% home-body. Give me a library book, a hot cup of herbal tea, and my bed or couch and I'm a happy girl.

Anonymous said...

I'm 200% home-body. :)I can stay at home all the day without eatting、 drinking……and just sleeping.

Anonymous said...

I'm the extrovert of my relationship. I'd say I'm a mix of both though, talking to people I like peps me up and gives me great energy, but too long with too many people and I'm drained. I like to be home but that's cuz my fella's there, the one who would never leave it if he could, haha. Being home's great but if it's for too long the walls close in a little. And yes, not spending is harder when you're out and about and seeing cool fun stuff.

Anonymous said...

excellent question!

I'm about 80% introvert and 20% extrovert. If I'm home and feeling introverted, then I'm fine. (same with the extrovertedness when I'm out). However, the problem occurs when I'm in public and suddenly overwhewlmed by people/noise/things and find myself craving home OR being home and pacing the floors, wanting to go out. Those times require creative solutions!

But the majority of the time - I love to be home - curled up with a good book or my favorite TV show, reading blogs or organizing various corners of my home.

I am single...and think that this tendency to be a homebody may not help me meet Mr. Right.....so I gotta work on that.

Woah. novel. sorry.

Anonymous said...

I'm not just one of either. I generally prefer staying home -- my fatigue problems often preclude me from leaving the house.

But being home a lot makes me antsy. So there are days when I just *have* to get out.

Like you, I married a constant-entertainment needer. My husband is dyslexic so he's not a big reader. But he's generally calmed down and most nights we watch movies or TV. So long as there's entertainment at home, he doesn't care as much about going out.

Anonymous said...

homebody but i like doing things. Summer is very expensive because sometimes i find things to do (landscaping).

wife's a homebody too but she likes going out after work.

Anonymous said...

to all the female home-bodies...how are we supposed to meet you guys?!

Meg said...

I'm a rather extrovert homebody. I like staying at home, but I like to have people around me, too. I actually enjoy it when my husband and I and our roommate(s) are all sitting in the living room on our computers.

Anonymous said...

I'm absolutely a home-body, although I too like to have people around even if we're just typing away on our laptops. I'm also still single, and I've yet to solve the puzzle of meeting someone without going to bars or clubs.

From Bottle to Box said...

I'm so bi-polar I can't even answer the question. One month I won't leave the house and another I'm never home. I have been trying to find myself for the last 41 years and have finally realized to just embrace my insanity and enjoy. Good thing I'm already married or who knows what would happen:) My husband is a very content homebody. It takes a little work to get him out, but when he is out, he always enjoys himself. WIth our new-found frugal lifestyle we have been spending the majority of our free time in the backyard with kids, neighbors, friends, and campfires.

Burt said...

I find myself being a frugal homebody about 95 percent of the time, but only because I blow most of my paycheck as soon as I get it (usually with friends on the weekend). So, I guess you could say I’m a frugal homebody because I’m a socialite.

Anonymous said...

IM A HOMEBODY.I COULD STAY AT HOME FOR A WEEK .MOST OF THE TIME I DO GROCERY AND FILL MY CUPBOARDS SO THAT THERE WONT BE ANY REASONS TO GO OUT.IM MARRIED WITH KIDS.I LOVE WORKING AROUND MY HOUSE,WATCH DVD,COOKING AND DRINKING A LOT OF COFFEE.MY HUSBAND PUSHES ME TO SAY YES TO OUR FRIENDS INVITATION.BUT I HATE BEING THERE.I ALWAYS MISS MY HOME,MY COUCH,MY KITCHEN,MY BED

Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang said...

Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang
Keyword Kenali Pandeglang
Mohon dukungannya yach....?!
Semangat..semangat..!!
Pandeglang telah hilang Kenali Si Dunia Aneh
Silahkan kunjungi Pak firman di SDIT Nurul Ilmi Medan dalam kontes Kenali dan Kunjungi Objek Wisata di Pandeglang