Saturday, April 28, 2007

Stop Procrastinating Tomorrow

Right now I am in a state of contented unproductivity. You know that feeling when you wake up feeling warm and rested, particularly when you haven't in a long time, and you know that you aren't doing anything productive, but you really don't care? That's how I feel right now and I love it.

My other favorite state of mind is when I've just finished some big project and I'm so busy being finished with it that I couldn't possibly do anything else.

I swear, if there were a world championship in justifying procrastination, I'd be a finalist every single year.

I talk all the time about how money saved or earned is not actually valuable unless you then put it to good use rather than frittering it away, but the same is true of time. I save myself time by cutting back on laundry and precooking my meals so that I can spend it aimlessly surfing the web or mindlessly watching television. Not a good plan.

I am certainly not undermining the wonderfulness that is doing nothing. Doing nothing though should be an active process. Doing nothing means staring at a wall, lying in bed, cuddling with my honey. Doing nothing relieves stress. Mindless time wasters cause more of it.

I've tried before to make myself schedules and routines, to write them out, to track my time the way I track my spending, but none of these things really seem to work. The "do it now" plan seems to work for about a day. Any self-motivational plans I put into place fade away very quickly.

Truthfully, I really don't know why. I know in my head that I don't care about TV, that I don't value the time I spend on the Internet. I have a list of things that I want to do that I know I would both enjoy and value, things that would make me happy temporarily and in the long term. Still, though, everyday I find myself zoned out again and filling my brain with uselessness.

I'm not sure whether the solution is to examine why I do this to myself or to simply suck it up and make myself "do it now" every day until it becomes a habit. I need to do something, though, if I'm ever going to make progress toward the life I really want.

I'll start later, though. Right now, I'm enjoying drinking coffee in my pajamas in the middle of the day. In fact, I think maybe I'll go stare at the wall for a while.

0 comments: