Monday, February 1, 2010

Starting over is harder than it sounds

So every time I say "I'm going to get back to basics" or "I'm going to get things back on track," somehow I find a reason or a way not to do so. If I claim I'm going to start posting or grocery couponing or following a cleaning routine, I manage to keep it up for about 2-3 days tops and then I fail. There used to be an element of accountability associated with posting about it on my blog, but when I wait 3 months between posting I'm afraid I lose my loyal followers and therefore my sense of responsibility to them.

When I worked 40 hours (and sometimes more) per week, I said "Oh, it will be easier when hubby graduates . . . when I don't have to work so much. . . when I live somewhere more permanent . . when . . " but somehow I got to the end of all my whens and it still isn't easy. I'm still saving every month, still contributing, still getting dinner on the table, but I just can't get back into frugality (or into homemaking or into blogging) on a really deep level. I get through the absolute minimum possible and then I put the rest on hold. Instead of having audacious goals and accomplishing big things, I just skate by. I have had students who knew exactly how to do the least possible work and still get a C. . . and I feel like that's where I am with most of my life.

This post was not meant to be so much about the whining, but I have a distinct feeling that I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've heard the quote "Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and soon you'll be doing the impossible." Well lemme tell you, I've got necessary down. So how do I move forward?

3 comments:

Life Insurance BC said...

Thank you for all the great posts from last year! I look forward to reading your blog, because they are always full of information that I can put to use. Thank you again, and God bless you in 2010.

kevlinefm said...

Hey there!

I'm Kelvin from Malaysia. I am a newbie to personal finance-related field as I just start to learn things and obtain information about this field. Hence, I found your blog on the internet and has since been reading it quite often.

Due to my interest in your blog, I would like to recommend a deal for you. I'm currently helping a friend to find bloggers who are interested in putting paid text links on their blogs. I think you might be interested.

For more details, do contact me via the e-mail, kevlinefm1910@hotmail.com. Thank you in advance. (:
Keep up the good work!
This is not spam. So no worries.

With regards,
Kelvin Lye

said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.