Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Doing Nothing

It's not very healthy for me to have vast stretches of open, unscheduled time ahead of me. I worked at my part time job every day last week, and I have a tutoring student I'm working with two hours a day starting next week, but this week I need to rest my mind and body a little, so I am blissfully just sitting around and doing nothing.

Somewhat blissfully.

Doing nothing is a lot harder than it sounds. My mind is so busy with all the critical chatter that it's hard to relax in one place for more than a few minutes. Yesterday, I took my book down to my apartment complex's pool to lay in the sun and read, and five minutes later thought of something I needed to do in my apartment. I lay down to take a nap, and then realized my dishwasher needed to be unloaded and I shouldn't be sleeping yet. I went to run errands and felt anxious because I was away from home and thought my husband might get home before I did and then I wouldn't have dinner ready.

For goodness sake.

I think that they key to all this do nothing angst is to just have a schedule and routines. I should get my laundry and my my dishes done and my house clean first, then write, then schedule in some leisure time in the afternoon so that it's done before dinner time. Without a schedule, the bad stuff is taking up as much time as possible, kind of like my money does when I don't have a budget. If I can just make a schedule, I think I would still have hours in my day to do all the things I want to do, like go to the gym, swim, get some sun and read my book if I just figured out where my time was going.

Hmmm. . . that sounds like a lot of stuff. I wonder what happened to doing nothing?

0 comments: