Friday, April 25, 2008

My Frugal Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday. I've been kind of low key about that. I'm not sure why. I've been having a rough time lately, and I think I just maybe wasn't ready to celebrate me.

Until my husband got home from work yesterday. He came home with flowers for me - pink alstromerias, the flowers we had at our wedding - which, while not frugal were exactly what I wanted. Then he took me out to dinner at the Outback, for which we had both a coupon and a gift card. We only bought entrees there, though, and water, and then came home and had cake (an ice cream cake from Coldstone bought with a gift card he had SNUCK OUT OF MY PURSE THE NIGHT BEFORE! I love it!) and champagne (a less frugal purchase, but here's how he did it smart: he bought a split, which was enough champagne for the two of us but not enough to languish in our refrigerator). Then I got my presents. Please don't laugh at me. He bought me a tin of tea, a bottle of wine, a pair of sweatpants, and two packs of socks! I was giddy with excitement. Especially after being scolded at Christmas for only asking for practical things, I was just overwhelmed with how perfectly the gifts matched what I really wanted. My totally unfrugal hubby really saw how happy it made me to be pampered the way I wanted to be, not in an excessive or extravagant way.

Then, the best part of my birthday, we lay on the couch for the rest of the evening and watched silly comedies on TV and didn't do a lick of work. I didn't write, didn't grade any essays, didn't check my email. I hadn't realized how much I really just needed a little bit of peace.

Happy birthday to me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a GREAT day :)

Lucy said...

Sounds like a really great day! Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! That would be my ideal b-day. Champagne and hanging out with my honey.

Renee said...

Happy Birthday!
Belated that is. Sounds like you had a really nice time with your dh. Nice one on one time together. And it sounds like you really were smart with your money.

It's nice to sit back enjoy some shows, and be able to enjoy each other's company.

Take care:)
Renee

Little Penpen said...

Sounds like a PERFECT birthday to me! Thanks for sharing! Happy Birthday.